Tuesday, January 1, 2013

PNW Pro Wrestling Coverage

I've been a fan of pro wrestling as long as I can remember.  Living in the Portland area since I was four years old means a big part of that fandom was following wrestling in the Northwest.  When I was a kid I'd struggle to stay up late on Saturday nights to watch Portland Wrestling.  Most of the time I'd fail.  

After KPTV cancelled Portland Wrestling I didn't follow local wrestling until I discovered Sandy Barr's Championship Wrestling USA on KOIN late Saturday nights.  The matches featuring Bart Sawyer, Buddy Wayne, Col. DeBeers, Ritchie Magnut, Matt Borne, Lou Andrews, Bruiser Brian, Dane Rush, Sumito, and others became a gateway for me to experience more wrestling.  In 1995, I had just started getting on the internet and discovered tape trading message boards.  I traded CWUSA shows for wrestling tapes from around the world in the days before everything was easily accessible on youtube.  

After CWUSA closed up, I followed Ivan Kafoury's Portland Wrestling group that ran shows at the Aladdin Theater, the Roseland, and a flea market out by Portland Meadows.  From there, Frank Culbertson started another Portland Wrestling group, which I watched on T.V. every week.  I only attended one event, a card at the Salem-Keizer Volcanoes Stadium that featured Jimmy Snuka and Rowdy Roddy Piper.  

When Culbertson's group closed up I pretty much stopped following local wrestling, sans a local show here and there I'd catch on public access.  It wasn't until a couple years ago that I began attending events again.  My wife was close with the promoters of NWWA, and we started going to the cards at the Milwaukie Elks Lodge.  From there we started going to DOA, and now with the emergence of Portland Wrestling Uncut, there is plenty to be excited about for local fans in the Portland area.  

But I do have one huge annoyance.  There doesn't appear to be anywhere to easily find  results of cards you miss, or upcoming event info.  I use to read the CCK message boards, but those died out.  I know about Mike Rogers' newsletter, but that isn't online.  So I thought I could rectify that situation by starting up this blog.  My hope is others will discover this blog and share results and upcoming event info with me so we can have an easy place for PNW fans to catch up on local wrestling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment